Opportunities for Freelancers
Dear Freelancers! How are you doing in 2023 so far? We’ve prepared for you a list of new grants, benefits, free courses and programs that we hope might help you for the year ahead.
Are you returning to the industry after a career break or want to progress your career? Do you need a cash grant to help you with the current situation or maybe you want to transfer your skills to Blackmagic Design DaVinci Resolve 18 Studio? Please see a list of the opportunities, and benefits that might be useful for you:
Courses & trainings:
- On the theme of connection (netflixdocfund.co.uk) – Netflix’s Documentary Talent Fund calling all Documentary filmmakers from Ireland, as well as the whole of the UK. There are five funds of £30,000.00 to make your film. Application deadline: 1 pm on 16th February 2023.
- The Grierson Trust – a training programme that helps UK-based new entrants aged 18-25 thrive in the world of factual TV and documentary filmmaking. Application deadline: 5pm on 24 February 2023.
- High-end TV Avid to Resolve conversion course – Training Course – ScreenSkills – this course is for experienced online editors working in high-end TV (HETV) and offline editors keen to start onlining/ finishing with DaVinci Resolve. Application deadlines: 15 Feb 2023 & 10 March 2023.
- Working in the UK screen industries with English as a second or other language (ESOL) – Training Course – ScreenSkills – This course is for anyone with English as a second or other language (ESOL) and will focus on communication, understanding your rights amongst other skills – Date: 7 Feb 2023, 09:30-11:30 & 22 Feb 2023, 14:00-16:00.
- Senior leadership training for those working in children’s TV – Training Course – ScreenSkills for anyone in a leadership role in children’s TV. Date 7 Feb, 09:30 – 28 Mar 2023, 12:00 & 22 Feb, 10:00 – 22 Mar 2023 16:00.
Grants & Funds:
- Tourism Ireland Announces Applications for International Programming Ireland Fund – Northern Ireland Screen – this fund is designed to attract and support new, original, innovative and commercially viable programming that can potentially be completed by December 2023. Application deadline: 3pm on Friday 17th March 2023.
- ScreenSkills bursaries: apply for funding to progress your career – Opportunities – ScreenSkills – a cash grant to remove the obstacles to getting into the screen industries or progressing your career once you’re in. You can apply for money to pay for most things that relate to work and continuing professional development, such as training fees, accommodation, care, disability access costs, equipment, software and travel. Application Deadline: Mar 24, 2023.
- Sir Horace Ové Grant (filmtvcharity.org.uk) – this grant (up to £500) is to help Black and Global Majority people working behind the scenes in film, TV, and cinema to access opportunity and navigate barriers to career progression.
- Support Grant Application Form (formstack.io) – One-off grants of up to £750 to meet urgent need or enable you to access a career opportunity when lack of financial capital is holding you back.
- Opportunities from Sundance Institute – labs, granting, and mentorship programs operate year-round to support independent artists and bring exciting new work into the world. Several of programs are now accepting submissions.
Support & Benefits:
- Benefits Hub (filmtvcharity.com) – one-off grants of up to £750 to meet an urgent need or enable you to access a career opportunity when a lack of financial capital is holding you back.
- Support Line | 24-hour, 365 days a year (filmtvcharity.org.uk) – for those who have had a problem at work, or an issue that has been negatively impacting life. Free & confidential.