Opportunities for Freelancers
Dear TCC Freelancers! As part of our commitment to supporting your professional development and well-being, we have curated a list of free training programs, grants, and other opportunities that we believe may be of interest to you. We hope that these resources will assist you in enhancing your skills, advancing your career, and navigating the challenges of freelance work.
- Navigating the rights minefield: business affairs and copyright… with Ben Green – Training Course – ScreenSkills – a practical session covering the essentials of ‘Rights’ and Business Affairs, offering TV and other content production professionals and trainees both awareness and guidance when navigating the complexity of rights and intellectual property.
- Introduction and walkthrough of the RIMMS releasing platform – Training Course – ScreenSkills – training in a range of finance, HR, and business affairs related areas, giving you the tools you need to thrive in your chosen field in unscripted TV. Date: 30 Mar 2023, 15:30-16:15
- Get the Knowledge: Working with under 18s – Part 1 – Training Course – ScreenSkills – across two sessions in one day, Alison Cresswell and Grand Scheme Media present a walkthrough of the essential knowledge you need to be more confident in production. Deadline: 10 Apr 2023, training: 17 Apr 2023
- Return to work In craft and tech programme – Training Course – ScreenSkills – this course will help you work out your route back into high-end TV and will provide you with the tools you need to seek opportunities, return with confidence, work successfully as a freelancer and re-build a sustainable career in high-end TV. Deadline: 14 Apr 2023, training: 18 Apr 2023
- Navigating imposter syndrome – Training Course – ScreenSkills – this session will be exploring practical responses to the pernicious and all-too-common phenomenon of imposter syndrome, helping you build genuine and dependable confidence in the workplace. Deadline: 2 Apr 2023, training: 11 Apr 2023, 10:30-12:45
- Networking skills for freelancers – Training Course – ScreenSkills – this training will help you move on to a new role or skill up in your current role, giving you the right support at the right time to develop your unscripted TV career. Deadline: 2 Apr 2023, training: 12 Apr, 09:00 – 13 Apr 2023, 10:00
- 1-to-1 SpotCoaching for TV professionals… with Wendy Wilson – Training Course – ScreenSkills – one-to-one coaching for professionals working at all levels in TV and digital media production, including freelancers. Deadline: 10 Apr 2023, training: 25 Apr 2023, 09:00-10:00
- Understanding budgets for editorial teams – Training Course – ScreenSkills – training in a range of finance, HR and business affairs related areas, giving you the tools you need to thrive in your chosen field in unscripted TV. Deadline: 22 May 2023, training: 5 Jun 2023, 10:00-12:00
- Stop Gap Grants – Immediate Support (filmtvcharity.org.uk) – grant can provide you with immediate support to help manage urgent financial needs.
- Sir Horace Ové Grant (filmtvcharity.org.uk) – the aim of the grant is to help Black and Global Majority people working behind the scenes in film, TV, and cinema to access opportunity and navigate barriers to career progression. Grants of up to £500 are available and could cover anything from childcare or travel costs to help you access a career opportunity, to courses to support your professional development.
- RTS Bursaries | Royal Television Society – All Bursaries are awarded to talented students from lower-income backgrounds studying an undergraduate degree or HND Level 5 or 6. We will consider candidates studying all subjects: including but not limited to TV Production and Journalism; Humanities and Social Sciences; and STEM related courses. What is important is an evident interest in pursuing a career in television, film or related media industries. Deadline:29 June 2023
- Children’s TV – Dream Big! year 2 – Training Course – ScreenSkills – 6-month paid placement in a production company making children’s content, alongside industry training delivered by thinkBIGGER! Deadline: 17 Apr 2023, programme: 29 Apr – 31 Dec 2023.
- Wellbeing Resource Directory – Film and TV Charity (filmtvcharity.org.uk) – Whether you’d like to know about ways to support yourself better so you can deal with challenges at work, or you’re looking to support others in your team or on a production, here are some of the key tools and guidance that we find useful.